1874-1910: The “little brick church”: In 1869 an ad in the New York Tribune called for settlers to form a Union Colony in the Colorado Territory. Among these early settlers were 15 Episcopalian communicants who organized Trinity Episcopal Church. By December 1874, they had plans to build a “little brick church” on the north east corner of what is now 11th St. and 9th Ave. The building was a 30 ft. by 40 ft. structure with characteristics of Gothic architecture. The first service in the new building was held on August 8, 1875. The last services were on November 13, 1910, and on November 15th demolition began.
1913-1963: The “sandstone church”: A new Indiana sandstone building completed in 1913 replaced the “little brick church.” It faced 9th Ave., had red brick interior walls and a steep roof supported by wooden arches—these echoed the congregation’s first church home. Improvements and repairs were made as finances permitted. Bronze memorial doors were donated in 1961. The longest serving priests during this period were Rev. B.W. Bonell from 1909 until 1922, and Rev. C.V. Young from 1942 until 1970. These beloved men and many others served Trinity and the city, providing leadership during good times and bad. On March 11, 1963 at 9:35 p.m., the church building was destroyed in an explosion.
1963-1967: Temporary home: The parish purchased temporary quarters at 21st St. and 8th Ave.—a vacant property consisting of a church, rectory, garage and hall sold to Trinity by Our Savior’s Lutheran Church.
1967-ongoing The 20th Street Church: Land for the new church was in the country west of Greeley. The first worship services were held on Christmas 1966; 1039 persons attended. The stone wall behind the altar and the bronze doors, came from the ruins of the sandstone church. For many years, a Phoenix, symbolizing the resurrection and that Trinity had arisen from the ashes of 1963, was mounted above the front doors. Basic parts of the organ were installed in February, 1967; the organ was completed in 1973 and remains a most valuable component of parish worship. Over the years, repairs and renovations enhanced the functionality and beauty of the building. A columbarium and chapel were added, as was a large parish hall including a well-equipped kitchen. To commemorate the church’s 125th anniversary, a new sculpture, Love and Forgiveness, conveying the Church’s mission for the future, was mounted above the east entrance. The phoenix can now be seen on the west exterior wall of the chapel.